- Create a new experiment
- Create a new block: “Consent”
- Add 1 stimulus set (type paragraph) to the Consent block
- Upload the “Consent” stimulus set (found on the right)
- Add a “Next Trial button” to the Consent block
- Create a new block: “Instructions”
- Add 1 stimulus set (type paragraph) to the Instructions block
- Upload the “Instructions” stimulus set (found on the right)
- Add a “Next Trial button” to the Instructions block
- Create a new block: “Trials”
- Add 1 stimulus set (type image) to the Trials
- Upload the “Trials” stimulus set (found on the right)
- Go to block options
- Select Random (with repeats)
- Go to the layout tab
- Select “Preserve original size”
- Go to the timeline tab
- Modify the time on the timepoint card to 1500ms
- Create 2 new timepoints
- Modify the time on your new timepoints to 0ms and 3000ms
- Go to the layout tab
- Go to the 0ms timepoint
- Add a new stimulus set (text) to the container
- Upload the “Fixation cross” stimulus set (found on the right)
- Go to the 3000ms timepoint
- Set the layout to 2a
- Add a new stimulus set (image) to container 1
- Upload the “Green button” stimulus set (found on the right)
- Add a new stimulus set (image) to container 2
- Upload the “Red button” stimulus set (found on the right)
- Disable scaling for containers 1 & 2
- Go to the timepoint tab
- Set the RT Timer to 3000 ms
- Set the ignore input toggle to ON for timepoint 0ms and 1500ms
- Create a new block: “End”
- Add 1 stimulus set (type text) to the End block
- Upload the “End” stimulus set (found on the right)
- Try out the Stroop Test you’ve just created!
Welcome to Experimaker Classics. In this video, we’ll be creating a stroop test from scratch – in under 10 minutes.
Stroop Test explained
In the stroop test, the stimuli are color words, such as RED and GREEN. The words are printed with the same color – such as the word red colored red – or a different color – such as the word red colored green. Participants must pay attention to the color – and not the word. It turns out this can be difficult!
Let’s look at the final product. First, there’s a consent form, followed by instructions. The main trials consist of a fixation cross at 0ms, stimulus presentation at 1500ms, and clickable response buttons at 3000ms. Finally, an end screen. Let’s begin!
Add Consent & Instructions blocks
Add a block for the consent form. Upload the consent text. And add a next trial button. Similarly, add an instructions block
Add main block
For our main block, we’ll add the stimuli first.
We want each stimulus to appear twice. And we’ll disable scaling. Perfect!
Next, we’ll add separate timepoints for the fixation cross and input buttons. We want the fixation cross to appear at 0ms. The stimuli at 1500ms. And the input buttons at 3000 ms.
Modify timepoint layouts
Let’s go to the layout tab to add the fixation cross and buttons. Upload the fixation cross to the 0ms timepoint. The 1500 ms timepoint is correctly configured. So, at the 3000 ms timepoint we’ll set layout 2a, with the green button on the left hand side, and the red button on the right hand side. And disable scaling. Let’s test our design. Perfect!
Final touches for the main block
We want our reaction timer to start from 3000ms, the moment when participants are able to respond. And disable input for the 1st and 2nd timepoints
Finally, we’ll add the end screen
And let’s test the completed experiment!